When is a Plumbing Certificate of Compliance required?

In terms of Section 14 of the City of Cape Town: Water By-law, 2010, a Certificate of Compliance of Water installations must be obtained and submitted to the City of Cape Town upon transfer of any property to a new owner.

Who may issue the Plumbing Certificate of Compliance?

The certificate must be issued by an accredited Plumber in terms of the South African Qualifications Authority.

What does the Plumbing Compliance cover?

The Plumbing Certificate of Compliance accredited plumber in terms of the South African Qualifications Authority, must certify that:

  • The hot water cylinder complies with SANS 10252 and 10254;
  • The water meter registers;
  • There are no water leaks on the property;
  • Water pipes and terminal fittings are correctly fixed in position;
  • No stormwater is discharged into the sewerage system and
  • There is no cross connection between the potable supply and any grey water or groundwater system which may be installed.

Which properties require a Plumbing Certificate of Compliance?

A Plumbing Certificate of Compliance is required for residential, commercial, industrial properties and includes sectional title units.